Which University Gives Free Scholarships in Canada?
If you desire a top-notch North American degree but are unable to pay for it, have a look at these Canadian scholarships. By the end of 2021, there will have been over 621,656 international students studying in Canada, making it one of the most popular study-abroad countries. This is due to a variety of factors, including its welcoming immigration policy and its stunning assortment of mountains, valleys, and lakes. Studying in Canada is a well-liked option, although it may be rather expensive. For overseas undergraduate students, tuition costs increased by 7.6% in the 2019–2020 academic year, according to the most recent Statistics Canada data.
The average tuition for overseas undergraduate students at the time of this writing is around $29,714 Canadian per year. The cost of studying in Canada, when combined with an average annual living expense of $10,000, is sometimes too much for international students to handle.
Thankfully, Canadian scholarships are available to help overseas students pay for their education. Scholarships are often given out by Canadian institutions to students who excel in the classroom. The likelihood of receiving a Canadian scholarship is still partly influenced by employment and volunteer experience. Scholarships are an extremely competitive and scarce kind of non-repayable financial aid. These enable students to focus on their professions as opposed to their financial concerns.
What’s best? They won’t have to worry about graduating from college with a mountain of debt or about having to drop out due to a lack of funds. For the academic year 2022–2023, many Canadian institutions will provide more than 800 scholarships to foreign students. Here are some of our top choices:
- University of Saskatchewan: the University of Saskatchewan is one of the best universities in the country, a Canadian public research institution, located in Saskatoon. The prestigious institution, which was founded in 1907, provides undergraduate and graduate programs in every academic subject. The institution provides Canadian scholarships at all study levels, increasing education access for both its more than 3,000 foreign students and the local community. There are also fully financed masters and Ph.D. scholarships available. Their Ph.D. scholarships are worth $22,000 per year for three years, while their master’s scholarships are for $18,000 per year for two.
- University of Waterloo: Over 140 scholarships are available to overseas students at the public research institution in Canada known as the University of Waterloo. This is based on a variety of factors, including prizes for undergraduate, master’s, and Ph.D. students that are country- or course-specific. The value of Canadian scholarships might reach $10,000. What’s best? Many of them are automatically awarded by the institution, therefore no direct application is necessary. In the list of available scholarships at the University of Waterloo are the Colonel Hugh Heasley Engineering Scholarships, Faculty of Mathematics Entrance Scholarships, Frank and Janet Hill Scholarship for Women in Math, etc.
- University of Alberta: In this University, scholarships are available in the form of Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, Athletic Scholarships, Country Specific Scholarships, and Sponsored Student Scholarships. Every year, these scholarships worth about $34 million are given to deserving undergraduates. There are programs available in practically every profession that lead to undergraduate and graduate certificates that are recognized across the world. Scholarships are equally accessible in Canada. The University of Alberta now provides fully paid master’s and Ph.D. scholarships.
- McGill University: Scholarships at McGill University are available to people from all over the world in order to accommodate its varied student body. These awards are made to students pursuing undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Up to $8,500 is given to undergraduate students, while bursaries are available for masters and Ph.D. students. International candidates can pursue postgraduate degree programs at McGill University in almost all academic disciplines and majors. Consider requesting graduate student support if you need it for them.
- Dalhousie University: Some of the scholarships available for international students at Dalhousie University are; the Chinese Scholarship Council-PhD scholarship, The President’s Awards, Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, and John and Lena Graham Commonwealth Bursary. International students can apply for a variety of scholarships and bursaries offered by Dalhousie University. They provide scholarships. For undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate students. For overseas students, the Dalhousie University Scholarships are completely financed. These $50,000 Canadian scholarships pay for a monthly stipend, housing expenses, fee exemptions, and health insurance.
- University of Toronto: The University of Toronto grants scholarships each year to both international students studying in Canadian secondary schools and students from all around the world. The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto recognizes foreign students who excel in their academic and artistic pursuits as well as those who serve as role models in their institutions. A total of 37 undergraduate students at the University of Toronto have been named Lester B. Pearson Scholars. In addition to covering tuition and books for four years, the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship also covers all living expenses.
- University of British Columbia: The Karen McKellin Foreign Leader of Tomorrow Award is given by the University of British Columbia to international students who have distinguished themselves in their academic performance, leadership qualities, engagement in student activities, and community service. Undergraduate recipients of this prize must be students from outside the United States. Your financial need determines the value of your Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award. The financial contribution you and your family can make each year is deducted from the total tuition, fees, and living expenses to determine your family’s financial needs. For up to three more years of undergraduate study or until you get your degree, your grant may be continued.
- York University: If they want to attend York University full-time and complete an undergraduate degree, international students can apply for the Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships and the International Entrance Scholarships of Distinction. York University in Ontario, Canada, offers foreign students two Global Leader of Tomorrow Awards and two International Entrance Scholarships of Distinction more regularly than usual. If international students exhibit exceptional academic accomplishment in each academic year, awards such as the Global Leader of Tomorrow Award and the International Entrance Scholarship of Distinction grant totals $80,000 (for four years) and $140,000 (for four years), respectively. For three years of undergraduate education full-time, both scholarships are re-eligible.
Other Universities are;
- Brandon University
- University of Guelph
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Canadian Mennonite University
- University of St. Boniface
- Humber College
- University of Calgary
- Centennial College
I hope that this article on which university gives free scholarship in Canada was helpful.